Not all patients need to pay for NHS treatment, dependant on your circumstances you may be eligible for free dental treatment. You will need to check your eligibility prior to coming for your treatment, as incorrectly claiming for free dental treatment could result in a fine from NHS England of £100, and you will also be charged for the treatment you receive.


It is the responsibility of each patient to be aware of their exemption status, and to sign their form. Reception staff may be able to assist you to identify which exemption you are eligible for, providing that they see written proof of one of the categories below. If you are unsure, it would be advisable to pay for your treatment, and fill in a refund of dental charges form once you have confirmed your exemption status.


You do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when your treatment starts, you are:

  • Under 18 
  • Under 19 and in full-time education
  • Pregnant (with valid maternity exemption card)  or you’ve had a baby within the 12 months before treatment starts
  • Staying in an NHS hospital and the hospital dentist carries out your treatment
  • An NHS Hospital Dental Service outpatient (although you may have to pay for your dentures or bridges)

You can also get free NHS dental treatment if, when the treatment starts:

  • You’re included in an award of Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance,
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance Pension Credit guarantee credit or Universal credit
  • You’re named on, or entitled to, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate
  • You’re named on a valid HC2 certificate 

If you're named on a valid HC3 certificate, you may not have to pay for all your NHS dental treatment. HC2 and HC3 certificates are issued under the NHS Low Income Scheme.

If you receive any of the following benefits you will not be exempt from paying for NHS dental treatment unless you also fall under one of the categories listed above:

  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit savings credit

Please ask at reception if you require a form for claiming a refund for NHS dental treatment as a result of an exemption, or a form for assistance with dental charges.


Print Print | Sitemap
© Bembridge Dental Practice. The content on this website is owned by us and our licensors. Do not copy any content (including images) without our consent. This website uses cookies to facilitate smooth page transfer, for more information please see our cookie policy on the policies tab. Last website update 02/07/2019